Thursday, February 22, 2007

writing for pleasure

The set of readings for today seemed to focus on the intuition and the subjective feelings that a person experiences while writing. This seems like the perfect subject on which to be "self-indulgent." When reading the Runciman essay, I couldn't help nodding in agreement every now and then. There is a tendency for teachers and students to focus on the difficulties of the writing process and end up downplaying any rewards, especially the intrinsic rewards of "finding the right words" and such.
I think, sometimes, we are living in a culture that celebrates suffering. Sure, we are told to find whatever makes us feel good and fulfills us. But, there is also something wrong with being too happy, too perfect. No pain, no gain, and those lovely things. Anything worth having is going to require hard work. We all know the cliches. So, I think part of the problem with telling people that writing is fun makes it seem like that makes it sound easy. And, if it's easy, then we must not be learning anything. We forget sometimes that something can be fun but still require effort. Every time a person writes, that experience contributes to their knowlege. It's all about practice.
So, on this "self-indulgent" vein, I will say with joy, writing fiction is one of my favorite pastimes. Yes, it's hard work and I've been faced with writer's block many, many times, but some of my greatest personal rewards have come from telling my stories. I'm sure not everyone else feels this way about writing, but maybe that's because no one ever told them that they could write about how much they hate writing. Just a thought.

1 comment:

ERIKA said...

Hi everybody! I have a huge favor to ask! I am working on a paper concerning gender differences in written communication. If you could bring, or e-mail me a copy of a conversation you had with someone of the opposite sex, I would greatly appreciate it! It could be about anything! You could print out an IM conversation, or provide a copy of a letter- anything in writing that implies conversation, even if it is not an actual conversation (like the text of a card someone gave you, etc.). If you have time, could you briefly describe your interpretations of or intentions for the conversation, and tell if you think it was successful- why or why not? But if you don’t have time, the text will do just fine! Thanks for your help! Even two responses would be a lifesaver! You can email me at erika6@umbc.edu or you can reach me on my blog page. If you can get the text to me before Sunday that would be awesome! I owe you one! :)